Wednesday 31 October 2007

Goals are not Dreams

Dreaming is something we all do. They are part of what keeps us going. They are our hopes for the future. I'll share one of mine. I'll hear a great piece of music and I dream of the dance I can choreograph with it or I am the musician playing the violin or the guitar. I can build an active scenario round that and its very pleasant to enter a trance state and to be wafted away to some other space. Dreams are key for without them we just wouldn't have got off the starting block. They provide us with the ideas that can the propel us towards creating something special in our lives. Thank heavens for the dreamers

However they are essentially passive, something we can do laying on our backs. Only perhaps the unseen brainwaves can reveal a level of activity taking place in our minds. With goals on the other hand we need to be taking action of some kind towards delivering those dreams. The dream is the wish. The goals are the steps you will take to activate that wish. Which is why it is often recommended that when we make our goals, they are SMART - a specific objective, positively worded and that can be actioned by us in some way. Some questions that may help in developing our goals would be:

  • What exactly do we want?
  • How exactly will we know when we have achieved it?
  • Is this something that can reasonably be accomplished at this point in your life?
  • Is it doable and real?
  • When exactly do we want to have accomplished this?

I think very often where I and others have become confused is in not making the distinction between goals and dreams. My son's dream to become a footballer is just that, a dream. His goal however would involve planning and actioning the steps he can realistically take to achieving this particular dream, and the more steps he takes and commits himself to, the greater he draws the dream to himself to create the reality. And he is an inspiration to me in his level of committment, energy and effort to making this dream come true. And a key learning to motivate us is in making our dreams exciting and compelling for then are we most likely to want to take the actions necessary for success.

Blessings for today
1. I am thankful for the delicious pumpkin soup, warming and healthful and that my son drank it in spite of himself. Indeed I am grateful altogether for all the food on the table. I was reflecting again today on how fortunate we are to always have our food needs supplied. The squashes and marrows harvested from my friend's allotment and adorning my table are a very visible reminder of the bounty of this earth.
2. I am grateful for the warmth outside that enabled me to tend to my garden in comfort.
3. For finally being able to fit the pieces of a puzzle together and the insights I got for resolving this particular difficulty in the future.

Personal Development and Success
http://yvonnem.successuniversity.com/

No comments: