Sunday 21 October 2007

What in the name of God?

I started to read Catherine Ponder's book The Dynamic Laws of Prosperity today and boy does it have me buzzing! Gears inside my head are clicking into place wonderfully and the thing I was particularly arrested by was the biblical references to prosperity. I knew from recent other encounters that there was more than one interpretation of many biblical references to wealth and prosperity but I suddenly started to really take it in.

Now I'm not a religious person but hold my own brand of spirituality. I was however steeped from my childhood in religious doctrine which in later years I came to 'reject' while leaving me with some basic moral principles well ingrained. Somehow I always figured that to be wealthy or even to aspire to it was surely an unworthy or unpious thing to do. Actually I never gave thought to aspiring to it at all. Who came up with that notion?

Was there something I read about it being easier for a camel to pass through the eye of an needle than for rich man to get into the kingdom of god? Blessed are the poor. Give away all you have and become poor. That was the unvarnished message I grew up with. In other words, have wealth and be condemned to an eternity in hell. You might guess what messages were engraved in my brain. Limiting beliefs about what the universe had in store for me if I lifted my head above a certain level of financial security or desire.

And here is Catherine, saying again the words I have been hearing oft enough recently. THERE IS NOTHING SPIRITUAL ABOUT POVERTY. That sounds so good I'll say it again.

THERE IS NOTHING SPIRITUAL ABOUT POVERTY.

And then you start to look again at what the bible was really saying and suddenly there are messages of a completely different kind to wonder at from old familiar texts. How come it took me so many years to wake up to this? Now Catherine is clearly a woman with a strong belief in God but I have no problem with translating that to a wider universal consciousness outside myself. I really don't mind what this is called.

It is freeing to realise that not only are we not condemned by this other consciousness for reaching for prosperity, but that the universe is abundant for all of us and it is our right to strive for and achieve prosperity. We don't have to feel guilty for such aspirations. It is in fact a spiritual blessing to be so and the greater sin is to live in poverty- for that way lies wars, crime, addictions, delinquency, ill health, depression, desease, suicide and much more. That way lies hell.

With prosperity there is so much good that you can do for yourself and for others. With it comes taking care of all our physical needs and living more fully mentally and spiritually. The bible is full of references to living this life - words I heard or read as a youngster but had not a clue how to make sense of. Now I must reevaluate such words as:

The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.
But Thou shalt remember Jevovah thy God, for it is he that giveth thee power to get wealth
I will remember Jehovah God for he it is that giveth me power to experience wealth

Catherine states that the bible shows that we have not been pleaseing God by settling for lack or limitation any more than we have been pleasing ourselves. God, or the Universe is the source of all riches (in the very widest sense of richness). "And he shall be like a stream planted by the streams of water, that bringth forth its fruit in its season, whose leaf also doth not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper."

So I end today with one of Catherine's affirmations. "I stir up the gifts of God within me and around me, and I am blessed on every hand with happiness, success and true achievement."

My Blessings for today:
1. My son came today to nestle in bed with us for a cuddle and a chat. And it was good.
2. There was abundant food on the table and I am thankful for its supply.
3. There was rich autumn sunshine and a clear sky overhead. I had the urge to do some long overdue clearances and cleaning. I believe in the Law of Vacuum!

Prosperity and Success thinking
http://yvonnem.successuniversity.com

No comments: