Tuesday 16 October 2007

Influences, Associations and Success

Who in my life is pulling me back or assisting me in becoming successful?The chances are great that we are all hugely and subtly being influenced in how we behave, think and even feel by the people we tend to associate with. Yes most of us act like sheep a lot of the time and do not even realise extent of influence of e.g. the news we read or listen to or the people we have in our lives.

Key questions to ask are:

  • Who do I surround myself with?

  • What impact do these associations have on my life including what I wear, eat, activities I indulge in, read, listen to, think about myself, others, world issues and the like, how I behave towards others, what kind of flooring I have in my house, my attitude towards money or debt, whether or not I have a spiritual belief and a host of other things

  • Are these associations and influences OK for me? Are they moving me in a positive or a negative direction?

  • Am I allowing myself to be the person I want to become or am I being overwhelmed by the influence of others?
If there are influences or associations holding me back from getting to where I want to go, I have options for dealing with them
1. As hard as it may seem, we may have to cut or really limit our assoications with negative people. Yes I know its difficult if say its within the family, at work or people you've known a long time, but there are choices you have to make to preserve the quality of your life

2.Find and spend more time with people who are successful at whatever level in the way you would like to be.This isn't always easy either - you have to find these people, and consider yourself worthy of association with them but if you want to get where you want to go this could be one of the apt way of expanding your circle of influence.

Nothing succeeds like success. As you start to move forward, you start to attract others and become a source of influence yourself and in the meantime, we have to take the chance of initiating contact with people from whom we want to learn who can mentor, guide, teach and influence in a positive and inspiring way. And that may mean they sometimes have to tell it the way it is, both good and bad.

Well, I achieved 2 out of 3 contributions from yesterday and I'm OK with that. I'll do the other tomorrow. Meantime my blessings for today are:
1 A great meal for the family
2. Feeling pleased with myself for the confidence I showed in a meeting today
3. Successful outcomes for a client

Personal Development with Success
http://yvonnem.successuniversity.com

No comments: