Saturday 27 October 2007

Are We Sabotaging Our Own Success?

For weeks I have been looking for Ade's business card. I needed to contact him to help me with a business problem and he had offered to assist me. I spent many frustrating hours wrestling with a problem that someone like Ade could have helped me with in a matter of minutes. When I finally found it covered up on the notice board, I had to ask myself what that was about. Why did I 'lose' a valuable resource that would have helped me achieve my goal. I have to take some time thinking about what I may have been responsible for in sabotaging my own success.

Many of us say we want certain things but self sabotage prevents us from taking the appropriate actions to achieving them. We may neglect opportunities that arise, we find ourselves being late for important meetings, we choose partners who are not able to commit to a relationship, we delay actions that may produce results till the last minute, we only settle for perfection which we cannot readily achieve.

There are a myriad ways we can sabotage ourselves and this often happens when we associate certain fears or pain with getting what we want and when we cling onto negative self limiting beliefs.

If there is a deep seated belief about not being good enough, or fear of failure, or thinking people will not like you if you do well or any other self limiting beliefs, then guess what? We've closed the doors on ourselves and achieving our goals.

Of course we don't do this consciously. Its just that our behaviour will tell a diferent story from what we say we want. The subconscious mind is at work detecting the ambivalence and finding ways for us to impede our progress. It knows the fears we have and acts to protect us from the things we fear. If our goals have some fears attached, the subconscious will find a way to sabotage our success.

Can we only be led by the subconscious? Or are there ways to deal with self limiting beliefs?. Well its certainly helpful to be able to identify what the self limiting beliefs we hold are about
and to start to demolish them. One technique would be to practice Positive Acceptance I wrote about a couple of days ago. This isn't about practising positive thinking which is quite different and often doesn't give us quite the desired results. We all have our demons and gremlins but what we believe and think is a choice we make. I will deal with transforming self limiting beliefs in another posting.

In the meantime I leave with Liza Jimenez's words from Conquer Fear:
Change your beliefs and you change your behaviour
Change your behaviour and you change your results
Change your results and you change your life

My Blessings for today
1. Thankfully I have found Ade's card and I took action by contacting him immediately. I am grateful for finding it as I was allowing frustration to get the better of me
2.For what I learnt eventually in trying to solve a problem by myself. Hopefully I will be able to deal more affectively with this in the future.
3. For the love and caring that still shines through when we got stressy under pressure.

Personal Development with Success
http://yvonnem.successuniversity.com/

No comments: