Saturday 13 October 2007

Personal Development - The First Pillar of Success

Life's a journey and developing myself is part of that journey that will continue till I die. What must I do to improve myself in many areas of my life? There are some people who do not concern themselves with this question and yet many thoughtful people know they must continue to evolve their lives in any way they can.

We can't separate success in one area like financial success from success in other areas. Consider for example someone who works hard to build a fortune but falls prey to ill health or loses his/her relationships with family and friends along the way. What kind of life is that? How is that success to be measured? Success is a whole life - physical, mental, spiritual.

If I want real success in my life, I have to get clear about certain important questions:

  • How clear am I about the goals or dreams I want to reach?
  • How can I change the less desirable parts of myself?
  • How can I make a difference in the world?
  • What new potentials and possibilities exist for me in this life?
  • What plan can I make to realise my goals?
  • Who or what can help or influence my personal growth?
  • What learning possibilities exist for me to successfully achieve my goals?

It does require the discipline of daily steps towards your goal. Writing this blog is a discipline for me. Keeping on going even when times are hard requires effort. Sometimes it looks easier to just stop. Ask anyone who's ever tried to diet. Remember successful people are willing to do what unsuccessful people are not. To go the extra mile.

What am I here making the committment to do? Some pointers for our success:
  • To read more - at least one personal development book per month. I have just ordered The Dynamic Laws of Prosperty by Catherine Ponder and it is my goal to get reading as soon as it arrives. It comes much recommended as one of the great books on prospering in our lives.
  • To daily look at my dream board/goals to keep them focused in my mind. Its much easier to do now I have it above my computer
  • To persevere even when its hard to do so. Like doing this blog daily or to daily consider 3 blessings. The difficulty is always having too much to do or being tired out of my brain. I will keep my son in mind as an inspiration.
  • To take action however small to advance my goals. As a member of a mastermind group, I have the advantage of being accountable not only to myself but to the group. One small action I will do today is to have a look at a recommended site for website development.
My gratitudes for the day are:
1. I met with 3 other old school friends today that I haven't seen for about a year. I am grateful for their continued friendship. Hilary, Stella, Barbara - thank you.
2. When I came home my son flew into my arms and gave me the warmest of hugs and kiss. I am grateful for his love.
3. A little child of about 2 years old smiled and waved at me as I waited for the train today and I returned it. I am grateful for that child's innocent acceptance and friendliness.

PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT STRATEGIES WITH SUCCESS UNIVERSITY
http://yvonnem.successuniversity.com

No comments: