Saturday 6 October 2007

How many times do you have to fail to be successful?

There's a story that Thomas Edison that great inventor and father of the lightbulb was asked by an assistant why after so many thousands of attempts of trying to develop a lightbulb, he did not just give in to his failure. Mr Edison is reported to have said that all his failures were in fact successes because at least he knew several thousand ways to not make a lightbulb work and he went on to achieve through his determination and persistence the results he sought which brought the benefits of electric light to the masses.

Thats a great story to inspire and motivate. How many times did we have to fall down as a toddler before we gave up trying to walk? We just kept on trying until we got the idea so that we didn't have to think about it any more. For Edison, failure was an important part of what led to success. Its a part of the learning process. But if failure doesn't teach us anything or if we simply stop trying, then success itself eludes us. I heard tonight a talk in which the speaker described success as a journey not a destination, paved with the cobblestones of failure.

I came to Success University to help me become both financially and more personally successful in many areas of my life and I'm so glad I found it. I also recognise that this is a journey and as I harness the determination and persistence of Edison, walking for a moment in his shoes, I know it is entirely realistic to succeed if I keep on going and enjoy the process of getting there.

The gratitudes I express here are part of this personal journey that lift my spirits and feeds back into my success. So when I expressed apppreciations to my son and partner last night it was great to see their glows and my son actually told me what a terrific mom he thought I was! Success indeed!

Today I am grateful for the time I had to listen to the study programmes I am using. I got a good way along with that and had no interruptions the whole day. I appreciate the peace and quiet. And I'm glad for my family too that Leeds had another football win. They'll be so cheerful when they get back tonight!

http://yvonnem.successuniversity.com

No comments: