Friday 9 November 2007

The Joy of Money

When I was a child I used to have a recurrent dream of discovering a hoard of coins as I walked in the streets, and about how I would gather them up in my frock. Sometimes I would find them in a stream like pebbles on the bottom of the water. The feeling was always one of joy and delight. It was a disappointment to awake to find it was all a dream.

At some point in my adulthood many years ago now, I was walking along the riverbank nearby when I happened to notice some coins laying on the riverbed. With delight I went in and fished them out - a few pennies, sixpences etc. I took also a small rock and painted it, a picture of myself as a child with a whole pile of coins in my lap. I have it still and I must fetch it out of hiding as a reminder that its more than OK to have a pile of money in my world.

For many years I gave no thought to financial prosperity and indeed if you asked me, I would probably have given you very negative associations with being rich - money the root of all evil and all that. It never crossed my mind to consider that there is nothing good, spiritual or becoming of a mind of lack and poverty, or that I could in any way share the some of the bounty of this earth. That seemed to belong to other people. It's just taken the last few years to begin to change my mindset. What good can you do if you have much more of it?

I am a supporter of The Smile Train a charity that provides surgery for children with hare lips and cleft paletes. Today a letter came asking for a contribution to continue their work The amount seems small for the amazing gift of life that it offers these children and it is one of my dreams to be able to directly help to transform the lives of 20,200, 2000 children as I go. So what good can I do with more money? Need you ask?

I do meet people now whose lips curl at the idea of making or talking about money. I do know where they are coming from but I also now choose to think differently. "Money can't buy you happiness." we've been told. Well, it can. Used well and rightly, it can open doors and create joy. And lack of money can bring complete misery.

Catherine Ponder in Dynamic Laws of Prosperity puts it like this:
"Lets get the record straight. There's nothing wrong with money, or in our wanting money. It is a god-given medium of exchange, and there's nothing evil about that. The moment we let go of those false ideas that someone ignorantly taught us years ago - that money is evil- we will find that money circulates much more easily and more satisfyingly."


“It's good to have money and the things that money can buy, but it's good too, to check up once in a while and make sure that you haven't lost the things that money can't buy.” - George Lorrimer

Blessings for today

1. All the learning I have had over the last couple of days at the workshops I have attended. I especially appreciate the opportunity to reflect on where I stand in the TA model and how I might like to consider the changes I can make in my life to create good change - like remembering to release more of my inner 'positive child' that brings fun and spontaneity to life.

2.I am grateful to the friends who have rung me tonight to keep in touch.

3. I had a great lunch today at the conference I attended. I really enjoyed indulging for a change.

Personal Development and Success
http://yvonnem.successuniversity.com

No comments: