Wednesday 7 November 2007

Giving and Getting back

"There is a wonderful mythical law of nature that the three things we crave most in life - happiness, freedom, and peace of mind - are always attained by giving them to someone else." - Peyton Conway March

Whatever the arguements on the Secret Millionaire series being shown on TV, I must own to feeling greatly encouraged that there are people out there with pots of money who want to share the results of their very successful lives with others mainly for the good they can help create in other people's lives or in whole communities.

These were people who worked hard, took care of their own needs and still had money left over that they wanted to contribute back in some way. I have to say that I lay all cynicism aside and commend them for the good they do. Along the way of course they have themselves gained enormously from doing this that has enhanced their own personal growth in many ways. And yes I do believe they are better people for opening their hearts as well as their wallets. And perhaps they understand only too well that what you give out, comes back to you, plus some more.

The gift of contribution is something we can all make whatever our circumstances and this is not just about donating money. In giving to others, and with a bold and loving spirit, we are really creating a climate of increase in our own lives.

I was thinking about this when I was shopping today and just beginning to wonder about Christmas presents. I thought of the people I have in the past bought gifts for but with a grudging, resentful feeling and through clenched teeth. I won't be doing that any more. We have to consider what is the vibration we give out when we donate or give to others, even when we are paying bills. We will negate our results when we are giving with guilt, resentment, anger, mistrust and other negative emotions. We are only creating the same to be reflected back to us.

"I have found that among its other benefits, giving liberates the soul of the giver."- Maya Angelou

So if we are wise and wish to raise the level of increase and success in our own lives, one of the things we can do is to start giving and with an open heart. Of course we have to choose wisely to whom we give and I would say rather steel ourselves to not giving in situations where the gesture is empty and meaningless and full of resentment and guilt. Its worth remembering when these obligatory gift exchanges take place this Christmas. If you have to give in these situations, pour a little well being into your gift card so when you write 'with love and my best wishes', it comes from the heart. What matters is the energetic vibration behind the giving. I can't wait to pay my next bill 'with my love and best wishes'!

"Money is like manure; it's not worth a thing unless it's spread around encouraging young things to grow."- Thornton Wilder

Blessings for today
1. My elderly neighbour dropped by today for a chat. This I know can go on for more than an hour and I was desperately trying to get done some household chores so I could get some other work done. It seemed like it was going to be a busy day and I needed all the time I could get. My initial reaction was 'No, not today'. She needed to talk and I was home and I learn to practice patience. Indeed I even enjoyed our chat and realise I am blessed by her presence and the time that I can give to her. When I'm her age, I hope that someone will freely give their time to me too.

2. My son made me laugh with his funny dances and his quirky sense of humour

3. Custard apples! What a terrific fruit. Maybe second to mangos. I am grateful for the sweet bounty of this earth.


Personal Development and Success
http://yvonnem.successuniversity.com/

No comments: