Thursday 3 January 2008

8 Things Successful People Do

I was listening to Robert Sharma a success coach on video on You Tube today talking about 8 things that successful people do. While being obvious and basic, they are not to be underestimated in their importance for anyone wanting to become successful in their chosen field. I wanted to share them on my blog partly because I needed to be reminded myself of the relevance of some of these strategies.


1. Successful people are focused.
Hands up those people who use the internet who do not know how easy it is to become sidetracked. I supposed I found this one particularly revealing today because as I sat down to work I reminded myself that today, whatever happened I would remain singularly on track with what I wanted to do which was to read an ebook of a mere 85 pages. Several hours later and I had barely got to page 20. 

There was so much to follow through (and it was good!)but I could have kept pace with myself and just read, choosing to go back later to the areas of further research. Hence I now have failed to keep my commitment to myself about what I said I would do. OK, so along the way I did a lot of other important stuff but I didn't do the one thing I set out to do. Its so easily done and it wasn't for lack of will or awareness on my part.

2. Successful people are positive and passionate.
Hard to be both all the time for the best of people but I do believe that striving to develop this frame of mind rather than remaining in the negative doldrums can skyrocket your success. This thing is I also think that sometimes you will need to fake it till you make it.

3. Successful people work hard. 
I suppose that its because its what I seem to do a lot of that it that I recognise this one. However a word or two of caution. Lets not confuse working hard with working smart. I know how easy it is to do the former. 

And I've known people in my life who have worked till they've dropped with very little to show for it in the end. Still the point is made that we have to expect to put some effort into our endeavours in order to reap the rewards. I would say also however that truely successful people also make time to stop and draw breathe or play in their own ways.

4. Successful people never stop innovating. 
The thing is when you are passionate about what you do then its easier to get into a creative groove when ideas flow and you want to try a little this and improve that. 

The name Richard Branson sprang to my mind as I wrote this but by gum there are literally numerous positive examples of this at work. You choose your hero and see if the cap fits. They'll all be working around any apparent failure with creative passion.

5. Successful people use their time well.
Ahem. All right, I had to complete that sudoku puzzle this morning before settling down to work and I couldn't say this was using my time well as I had promised myself. Like breaking off in full flow to go and check your email. 

You ever do that? I wouldn't be too hard on myself though. These distractions can sometimes play an important part in the creative process. They allow you to step back from the woods so you can see the trees.

6. Successful people add outrageous value to others.
I'm trawling through my memory to find the examples where apparently successful people rob rather than give. It depends on your perspective doesn't it. Consider the Romans - the carnage versus the roads and aquaducts and baths and architecture and ...and... and...

7. Successful people have strong relationships with others.
Nurturing your networks whatever they are is like breathing to live. I'm thinking of Mr. Scrooge. Mmm.

8. Devotion to Excellence.
I'm with him there. This is about trying to be the best you can in your chosen field wether you are scrubbing floors or trying for the Olympics.

Well there you have it. 
And you know what? I think I might just have finally mastered the 'read more' process. Fingers crossed. LOL!

If you want to check out the man himself talking about the above, click here.

Blessings for today

1. I give thanks for the opportunities that arose today to break the circle of unforgiveness.

2. I have learnt an immense amount today and I am grateful for the opportunities that have come my way to do so and for al the unknown people who have contributed to me learning.

3. I appreciate my husband's help when I get 'gripey' about the new computer systems that I don't yet understand.

No comments: