Saturday 9 February 2008

Gratitudes

Here is the beginning of my post. I've been away to foreign climes to visit my sister who lies seriously ill and  pretty immobile in a public and uncongenial hospital. Its been nearly a couple of weeks of witnessing the harsher realities of life of those people who live in the back waters of her city. And every day it reminded me of many of the things I can express gratitude for, living in a relatively more prosperous part of the world.


I am very conscious of the importance of good health to a successful and enriched life and when we have done all we can reasonably do to ensure our health, life can still throw us a raspberry and then we want to know that whatever medical help we can get is available to us. 

My sister's health care was not great  but even that is better than the complete lack of it as experienced by millions of people all over the world. My own health care system with all its short comings is something for which I am hugely grateful. I am prompted by my recent experiences to go and get a health check and am confident that at least some of what I seek will be available to me. I am grateful for that.

The trip has thrown me off balance and I haven't written on this blog for a couple of weeks now but fully intend to get back on track. For now I will keep this quote from Frank Lloyd Wright in mind - 

" I know the price of success; dedication, hard work, and an unremitting devotion to the things you want to see happen."

Blessings for Today

1. Knowing I can if needed, have an operation without first having to find 8 people who will donate blood for me.

2. Living in an environment where I do not have to negotiate the garbage and detritus of human activity in getting from A to B. Yes I moan about litter carelessly discarded and its still something to moan about but I can also appreciate more the facilities for keeping my environment clean and the attention to hygiene and health.

3.  I thank the divine universe for being on comparative good health and having a future before me.


No comments: