Sunday 16 December 2007

Reasons to Succeed

Lets face it. There are not many people for whom life's all plain sailing now are there. Some people are sailing more close to the wind its true, but we all face challenges on many kinds. That's life. 


And when it gets rough out there, what's going to help you keep your head above water? How badly do you want to succeed in many areas of your life? As we approach the New year, many of us will be setting some new goals. But how big is your WHY?

I'll admit to having watched a bit of The X Factor last night. Boy how hungry were those contestants for the ultimate success!. They were all winners as far as I was concerned. And it seemed to me that they pretty much all had a very big WHY. A big enough reason to succeed. My heart went out to Leon who won and as a mother of a teenage son who has set himself a stupendous goal he wants to succeed in, I got quite motional for him.

What's my why? What are yours? Would answering some of these questions help you to discover your WHYs?

What do you want to achieve in you lifetime? 
What makes you ....  happy and excited?
What areas of your life do you want to grow in?

What gets you really worked up socially and politically?
What areas of personal growth mean the most to you?
What are you most afraid of?

If you could help others transform their lives in some truely meaningful way, what would that mean to you?
What does family and friendship mean to you?
Are there people in your life for whom you would do pretty much anything?

You tell me you want to lose weight. What's your WHY?

You say you want to make money. Is your reason strong enough to get you out of bed in time in the morning?

You want to run a marathon. What will achieving that do for you?

So many dreams. So many desires. So many goals. How are you going to get there? How powerful are your reasons?

What gives your life worth and meaning? Your WHY has such immense power. That's one of the major things that's going to motivate you to get off your butt and take action to succeed at the things you say you want. That's your carrot. That's what drives you.

Now, here's the thing. I don't recommend you keep this in your head. There is power in the written word. So grab a paper and pen. Or better still, something more permanent like a lovely hard-backed journal. Reason's to be cheerful. Part One. Go on. Start with one reason why you must succeed. Make it real. Ten expand on it as much as you can.

'For my mum' may be a good enough motivator for you but allow yourself to think of as many reasons as you can why it should be for your mum. Keep going. And then some more. Aim for at least 3 good reasons in each area for which you have a goal. You;ll know when you hit the peak. When it hits you in the eye -'So that's why I've got to do it.'

When you've written them down, do you know you will be one of only about 7-3% of people who ever bother? And that will make you one of the small % of people likely to succeed. Way to go! Now imagine looking back at your journal in 6 months, 1 year, 5 years or 10 years time and tracking your success. How good does that feel? And that imagining and feeling will greatly contribute to attracting that success to you.

My Reasons to Succeed

1. For my sister whose life is rapidly ebbing away as I write this, my son who has bigger dreams and takes action in a way I would never have dreamt of at his age, for my husband who deserves to kick back in his life a bit more now and for me because I deserve the feeling of achievement I would surely get.

2. The children around the world whose lives I have the capacity to transform by sponsorships and for paying for life changing surgeries.

3. For the future of the earth if I can make whatever contributions I can to preserving it and creating gardens of peacefulness and relaxation.




No comments: